Education Benefits are available to enlisted South Carolina National Guard service members.
Students should visit the SCANG Education Services Office (ESO) Facebook page for up-to-date information on education benefits. ESO’s mission is “to provide resources in a fair and equitable manner guiding Service Members and building strong minds for an ‘Always Ready’ South Carolina National Guard.”
Below are several Education Benefits available for enlisted South Carolina National Guard service members.
CAP-College Assistance Program
- Eligibility begins the day of enlistment as determined by the SC National Guard
- Application acceptance occurs between June 1st and Aug. 1st of every year. No exceptions.
- The benefit amount is $5500 an Academic Year (Fall, Spring, and Summer if there are remaining funds).
- Cumulative totals cannot exceed $22,000.
- Awarded first-come/first serve basis.
- CAP is not available to Graduate Studies or continuing education.
- CAP is subject to the availability of funds by the SC General Assembly.
- The Financial Aid Office awards CAP money based on eligibility and eligibility dates.
- For more information about the CAP program, please visit the SC Commission on Higher Education.
Montgomery GI Bill©– Selected Reserves (CH. 1606)
- Eligible after completing basic and AIT training.
- Please apply after receiving a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).
- Benefits are paid directly to the student, not the school.
- Benefits are paid at the end of each month for the preceding month of enrollment.
- Students must verify their enrollment with the VA through the WAVE portal or calling 1-877-823-2378.
Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)– Army National Guard / Reserves
- Students should contact their unit or go to https://www.armyignited.com/app/ for complete eligibility regulations.
- FTA is up to $4500 per fiscal year (Oct. 1- Sept. 30), NOT academic year.
- The Citadel’s Treasurer’s Office invoices the SCANG once they receive a copy of your TA Authorization.
*Your aid may or may not be reduced if you are receiving Financial Aid.
- The Army determines FTA eligibility not the Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs or The Citadel.
- The student is responsible for submitting their application at https://www.armyignited.com/app/.