Students may choose from four teaching specializations:
- Master of Arts in Teaching in English Language Arts
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Mathematics
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Science
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Social Studies
Requirements for Admission
- Graduate Application and non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate/graduate work directly from each regionally accredited college or university.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Successful completion of either the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). See Academic Catalog for details.
- Three letters of recommendation.
Students must complete a program of study with content and education advisors upon acceptance before registration in classes may occur.
Each area of specialization has different prerequisite, core content, and education course requirements. Please check the MAT Middle Grades section of the Academic Catalog for details.
Admission to the Internship in Teaching (EDUC 520 and EDUC 525)
- Apply to The Citadel to intern two semesters prior to Student Teaching Internship.
- Complete the teacher certification application with required fees, social security info, fingerprints for background check and state clearance.
- Successfully complete all required coursework.
- Successfully complete the Praxis II content and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) exams.
- Please check the appropriate section of the Academic Catalog for additional details.