The Citadel’s STEM Center is proud to support teachers in teaching STEM in their classrooms. Along with the PD opportunities below, be sure to check out the Student Competitions and the Summer Camps for events for your students.
If you have questions about any upcoming professional development, please contact Ashley Andrews at email@example.com.
CS Discoveries workshops are closely aligned with the Discovering CS standards. Teachers who attended PD this summer should plan to attend a Part 1, 2, 3, and 4 workshop, especially if you received a scholarship.
CS Principles workshops are more broadly aligned to Discovering CS, Fundamentals of Computing, Computer Science Principles, and Fundamentals of Web Page Design. Even if you attended CS Discoveries during the summer, you are welcome to attend CS Principles. Part 1, 2, 3, and 4 are in addition to summer training and are meant to provide “just-in-time” support as you teach during the school year. If you have not attended a summer PD, I would still encourage you to attend one of these workshops to receive support during implementation. However, a 30-hour, 5-day summer PD is needed for certification to teach one of the previously mentioned courses.
Each year, The Citadel provides a trianing workshop for teachers interested in supporting a group of students in the Student Competitions that The Citadel hosts each year.
- What is Storm the Citadel – Description, individual events
- What is Science Olympiad – Description, individual events, state and national level Science Olympiad
- What is KidWind – Description, individual events
- Starting a team – Recruiting students, getting other coaches involved, student expectations, parent involvement
- Tournament Scoring- Tournament format, blocked events, individual events and team winners.
- Event Training – Event manual, rules, practices, strategies, financial matters, resources.
Teachers will be given hands-on time to try some of the events in order to gain familiarity.
In partnership with CSTA South Carolina, The Citadel hosts CSTA Days twice a year. Visit the CSTA South Carolina website for more information on upcoming events. We are tentatively planning an event for January 9th, 2021.