With the approaching academic school year, please take the following into consideration while driving on The Citadel Military College of South Carolina campus. The Citadel Department of Public Safety would like to take this opportunity to remind all campus personnel of the State of South Carolina laws governing the use of a golf cart on the roadways in the State of South Carolina including all roadways on The Citadel campus. For further information regarding the operation of a golf cart, please refer to SC Code 56-2-105.
Listed below are the basic guidelines and regulations that all operators/drivers of a golf must follow. Any operator/driver who fails to follow these rules, are subject to a Uniform Traffic Violation (A blue ticket which if convicted, can impact your driver’s license and personal vehicle insurance).
- You must have a permit decal issued by the SCDMV. That decal must be affixed on the cart for which it is issued.
- You must have your golf cart insured.
- You must have proof of insurance.
- Golf Carts and Low Speed Vehicles MUST NOT drive on sidewalks at any time. (SC 56-5-3835)
- You must be 16 years of age and have a VALID driver’s license.
- You must have your license in your possession when operating a golf cart.
- You can only drive a golf cart during DAYLIGHT hours.
- You can only drive on secondary highways or streets with a speed limit of 35 mph or less.
- You can cross a highway or street at intersections even if the highway or street being crossed has a speed limit of greater than 35 mph.
- You must stay within four miles of the golf cart’s registered address.
- You absolutely cannot drive while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol! You can be charged with DUI and/or having an open container just as if you were driving a vehicle.
Any questions regarding the law and regulations, please feel free to reach out The Citadel Department of Public Safety office at 953-5114. The Department of Public Safety office remains committed to the safety of our Cadets, faculty, students and visitors.