Our mission is to support a thriving and engaged community of students and faculty who are using physics to solve applied and fundamental problems relevant to society, industry, and the military.
We provide a full academic program for students pursuing a B. S. Major in Physics, Minor in Applied Physics, and Minor in Aerospace Science.
Students completing the BS in Physics will be able to
- Identify, formulate, and solve broadly defined technical or scientific problems by applying knowledge of mathematics and science and/or technical topics to areas relevant to the discipline.
- Formulate or design a system, process, procedure or program to meet desired needs.
- Develop and conduct experiments or test hypotheses, analyze and interpret data and use scientific judgment to draw conclusions.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Understand ethical and professional responsibilities and the impact of technical and/or scientific solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Function effectively on teams that establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty.
- Demonstrate instrumentation competency, including the ability to build, operate, troubleshoot and establish interfaces between apparatus and computers.
- Demonstrate software competency, including the ability to use computational, design, analysis, and simulation software.