The Graduate Certificate in Literacy Education program at The Citadel consists of 5 literacy courses, two of which (Education 588 and Education 592) meet the Read to Succeed Requirement. Completion of the 5 courses with requisite number of years teaching experience and a passing score on the PRAXIS II exam, will qualify the candidate to be recommended as a Literacy Teacher in South Carolina. Contact Dr. Britnie Kane or email firstname.lastname@example.org for enrollment information.
Requirements for Admission
- Graduate Application and non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcript reflecting highest degree conferred from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Submission of a valid teaching certificate issued by South Carolina or another state.
- Submission of proof of two years teaching experience, to be recommended for licensure with the state.
Should students who later wish to pursue the full Master of Education in Literacy Education, all 5 certificate courses apply to the Master’s curriculum.
The Graduate Certificate in Literacy Education consists of five, three credit hour courses to be taken in the following order:
- EDUC-588—Foundations of Literacy
- EDUC-589—Methods and Materials for Developing Literacy Skills
- EDUC-590—Literacy Assessment and Instruction
- EDUC-592—Teaching Reading and Writing in the Middle and High School Content Areas
- EDUC-591—Practicum in Literacy Education
NON-Licensure Literacy Certificate Option
Students may pursue the Graduate Certificate in Literacy Education who are NOT LICENSED
by the state by completing the first two admission requirements listed above and submitting a
letter of intent to the Chair of the Literacy Division. Certification will NOT be recommended from The Citadel nor from the SC State Department of Education. Upon completion of these requirements and completion of the five courses listed above, the student will have completed the Graduate Certificate in Literacy Education from The Citadel. Certificate completion will be noted on the official Citadel transcript. Should students who become certified as teachers at a later time and then wish to pursue the full Master of Education in Literacy Education, all 5 certificate courses apply to the Master’s curriculum.