Deas Hall for External Patrons
The primary purpose of Deas Hall is to provide instructional support for students in the Department of Health and Human Performance (HHP), along with their college intramural, club, and recreational athletic activities. Deas Hall is also critical to the operations of the Office of the Commandant and ROTC units.
These policies are meant to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for all Deas Hall patrons. The failure to abide by these rules may result in the request to immediately leave the building, termination of membership privileges, and other consequences. Members must read and adhere to the policies and procedures described on this page.
- Based upon availability, individuals 18 years and older wishing to use Deas Hall who are not listed as a priority user may apply for membership. These individuals are considered “members.”
- Dependents (e.g., children) of members are not permitted to use Deas Hall.
- Guests of members are not permitted in Deas Hall.
Building Access and Identification
- Eligible individuals must complete a Deas Hall Membership Application and Agreement Form before using Deas Hall.
- When entering the building, members must present their current membership card to the staff at the welcome kiosk or equipment room window.
Etiquette and Attire
- Members will comply with written and verbal instructions from The Citadel personnel and Deas Hall Staff.
- Respect others when using Deas Hall, and remember classroom areas are quiet zones. Return dumbbells and weight plates to their racks after use. Ask others to do the same.
- Refrain from using abusive, disruptive, or inappropriate language.
- Members will wear appropriate gym attire when using the Deas Hall facilities. Jeans, open-toed shoes, work boots, shirts that expose the stomach, chest, and inappropriate clothing are prohibited.
Locker Rooms and Lockers
- Deas Hall has lockers available for your use. There is no additional fee to use a locker; however, lockers must be registered in the First Floor Equipment Room, and you must provide your lock.
- You may keep your locker from August through April; there is an annual locker clean-out in May.
- Deas Hall does not have a towel service.
- Personal items must be stored in a locker. Do not place personal items next to equipment in the gym or weight room while exercising. Personal belongings will not be held at the kiosk or in the equipment room.
- Deas Hall is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Do not store food, drinks, alcohol, drugs, or weapons in lockers.
- Nudity is prohibited in locker room common areas. Appropriate coverage is required when moving to and from showers, sinks, and restrooms.
Training and Equipment
- Coaches or outside trainers may not train others in Deas Hall.
- Organized group training is prohibited.
- Work with other lifters for spotting during heavy-weight activities. Staff on duty is not permitted to spot.
- Report equipment failures to the Deas Hall Staff.
- Return dumbbells and weight plates to their proper racks after each use. Do not rest dumbbells or plates on benches or the ground.
- Do not drop or slam weights.
- Deas Hall has a variety of equipment available for check-out. Present your Deas Hall Membership Card to the Equipment Room; your card will be returned when the equipment is returned.
Bring your own:
- Personal hand sanitizer
- Water bottle
- Shower towel
- Sweat towel
- Swim goggles
- Weight belt and lift straps
- The priority activities of Deas Hall increase the risk of COVID-19 exposure to the casual user. Therefore, members are encouraged to exercise outdoors when possible.
- Use hand sanitizer or wash hands before, during, and after using equipment and spaces in Deas Hall.
- Before and after use, wipe down equipment in cardio, weight rooms, and mat rooms.
- Pick up trash in locker rooms and workout areas and use recycling bins for bottles and cans.
- Food, candy, and gum are prohibited.
- Water and sports drinks are permitted in a resealable metal or plastic container. Glass containers are not permitted.
- The Citadel is a tobacco-free campus.
Membership Application and Agreements
Individuals 18 years and older who are not current Citadel students, faculty, or staff members may apply for Deas Hall membership.
- complete a Deas Hall Membership Application and sign Agreements, and
- pay a membership fee of $100 per term. Terms begin January 1, May 1, and September 1.
We can accept cash or checks only. Please make checks out to “Deas Hall.”
A new membership card must be purchased on or before the dates noted and may be obtained from the First Floor Equipment Room in Deas Hall.