Based on Regulation 43-64, Requirement for Initial Certification at the Advanced Level, the policy of the SCDE to add the complemental certification area is that the educator must satisfy the following:
1. A master’s degree (or higher),
2. Minimum qualifying score(s) on the area examination(s) required by the State Board of Education,
3. A valid South Carolina Educator’s Professional certificate at an administrative level,
4. Verification of three (3) years teaching experience, including at least one (1) year of teaching in the complemental level administration certification area,
5. Completion of an advanced program approved by the State Board of Education for the training of principals and supervisors, and
6. Completion of an internship at the complemental level of certification the educator is seeking to add*.
*Two internships are needed for both certification areas–one for each administrative certification level. Middle school internships can count as an elementary or secondary internship (must include grades 6-8).
The following would then need to be complete and on file with the Office of Educator Services:
1. Request for Change/Action Form;
2. Content Exam Scores (if not on file);
3. Experience Verification Form to confirm that one (1) year of teaching experience is in the complemental level in which the candidate seeks certification;
4. Official transcript to document successful completion of the internship at the complemental level; and
5. College Recommendation Form. The recommendation must be from the institution where the internship was completed or the institution where the candidate was initially prepared in the initial administrative area.