Dean Evan Ortlieb earned a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from Louisiana State University. He is an internationally renowned scholar in literacy education with previous work experience in Singapore, Australia, and New York.
Dr. Ortlieb’s expertise centers on literacy teacher preparation, leveraging diversity as an asset in classrooms, and educational leadership. He currently serves as a co-editor of Literacy Research and Instruction, area chair in the Literacy Research Association, and board member of the Specialized Literacy Professionals (SIG) of the International Literacy Association.
Dr. Ortlieb is the Founder and President of the Ortlieb Foundation, a non-profit organization that provides college scholarships for cancer survivors.
- Ph. D. Curriculum & Instruction Reading Education- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- M.Ed. Elementary Education – Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- B. S. Elementary Education – Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Community Empowerment
- Distance Learning
- Teacher Preparation
- Digital Literacies
- Ortlieb, E., & Schatz, S. (2020). Self-efficacy in reading. Reading Psychology, x, 1-18.
- Grote-Garcia, S., Ortlieb, E., Pletcher, B., Manderino, M., Zygouris-Coe, V., Araujo, J., & Babino, A. (2020). Building bridges between research and practice: Reflecting upon the results of the 2019 What’s Hot in Literacy survey. In x and y (Eds.), Educating for a just society (pp. Xx-xx). Texas Association of Literacy Educators.
- Ortlieb, E., & Schatz, S. (2019). Passing the pen – A gradual release model of the recursive writing process. In M. McVee, E. Ortlieb, J. Reichenberg, & P. D. Pearson (Eds.), The gradual release of responsibility in literacy research and practice (pp. 205-215). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group.
- Cassidy, J., Grote-Garcia, S., & Ortlieb, E., (2019). What’s hot in 2019: Expanded and interconnected notions of literacy. Literacy Research and Instruction, 58(1), 1-11. 78.
- Ragen, J., & Ortlieb, E. (2019). Leveraging digital literacies for success in a first-year writing program. Making Literacy Connections, 33, 13-29. 77.
- Cassidy, J., Ortlieb, E., & Grote-Garcia, S. (2019). What’s hot in literacy 2018: Going digital and disciplinary. Literacy Research and Instruction, 59, 1-11.
- McVee, M., Ortlieb, E., Reichenberg, J., & Pearson, P. D. (2019). The gradual release of responsibility in literacy research and practice. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Ortlieb, E., Cheek, E. H., & Semingson, P. (2018). Best practices for teaching digital literacy. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group.
- Ortlieb, E., & Cheek, E. (2018). Addressing diversity in literacy instruction. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group.