The Graduate Certificate in Student Affairs is designed to teach students aspiring to work (or currently working) in higher education how to:
- Use resources effectively to achieve institutional missions and goals;
- Establish high expectations for the learning process; and
- Equip individuals with the skills needed to engage students in active learning while building supportive and inclusive communities within higher education institutions that help students develop coherent values and ethical standards.
Requirements for Admission to the Certificate Program
- Completion of the online graduate application along with the non-refundable application fee.
- Submission of official transcripts reflecting the baccalaureate degree and any graduate coursework delivered directly from the accredited college or university attended.
Students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Student Affairs complete only four courses (EDUC-537, EDUC-538, EDUC-539, and EDUC-613) focusing on the areas of student services, student development, historical and contemporary aspects of higher education, and administration. Students have the option to complete course EDUC-634—Practicum in Student Affairs and College Counseling. These five courses are also required of the MEd in Student Affairs and College Counseling degree program. However, students considering applying to the MEd in Student Affairs and College Counseling program will need to meet the admissions requirements before being accepted into the program. (See the Graduate Certificate section in Academic Catalog for additional details).
Consists of four 3 credit hour courses. Students may choose to enroll in a practicum.
- EDUC 537 Student Development Services in Higher Education
- EDUC 538 Theories of Student Development in Higher Education
- EDUC 539 Higher Education Administration
- EDUC 613 Foundations of American Higher Education
- EDUC 634 Practicum in Student Affairs and College Counseling (optional)
Students accepted into the Master of Education in Student Affairs & College Counseling are automatically enrolled in this certificate program.