This program is offered online.
The Master of Education in Higher Education Leadership degree features a 36-hour program of study designed to prepare professionals for leadership roles in post-secondary educational settings, including four-year colleges and universities, community and technical colleges, and related educational organizations. The program provides a broad preparation in higher education leadership, including specialized coursework in higher education organization and governance, student affairs, finance, and strategic planning.
Requirements for Admission
Admission to the program is not based on any single factor, but on a composite assessment of the following:
- Graduate Application (online) and non-refundable application fee.
- Submission of official transcripts reflecting the baccalaureate degree and any graduate coursework delivered directly from the accredited college or university attended. Applicants are expected to have a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate grade point average.
- Successful completion of either the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). See Academic Catalog for details.
- Submission of a detailed personal statement (1,500 – 3000 words) which informs the faculty about:
- the applicant’s personal and educational background
- strengths and weaknesses
- understanding of and motivation and suitability for entering into the higher education profession
- long-term professional goals
Students in the Higher Education Leadership Program complete nine common core courses, two electives, and one field based experience for a total of 36 credit hours.
Common Core Courses
- EDUC 537 Student Development Services in Higher Education
- EDUC 539 Higher Education Administration
- EDUC 613 Foundations of American Higher Education
- EDUC 622 Critical Multicultural Issues in Higher Education
- EDUC 624 Basic Counseling Skills
- EDUC 550 Career Counseling and Development
- EDUC 551 Counseling Theories and Practice
- EDUC 562 Legal & Ethical Leadership Issues in Education
- EDUC 512 Data Collection and Analysis
Electives (select two)
- EDUC 530 Strategic Planning and Assessment in Higher Education
- EDUC 533 Higher Education Finance
- EDUC 534 Advanced Leadership in Higher Education
- EDUC 538 Theories of Student Development in Higher Education
Field Experience (select one)
- EDUC 634 Practicum in Higher Education Administration
- EDUC 635 Practicum in Higher Education Student Affairs
- EDUC 655 Internship in Higher Education Administration
- EDUC 658 Internship in Higher Education Student Affairs