Welcome to The Citadel’s Office of Institutional Compliance.
The OIC was created in 2012 to promote College-wide compliance with laws, regulations and policies that govern the daily activities of the students, faculty and staff of The Citadel.
The Office of Institutional Compliance (OIC) embraces The Citadel’s core values of Honor, Duty, and Respect and supports the College’s mission of achieving excellence in the education and development of principled leaders. Since the legal and regulatory environment of higher education is so complex, it is often difficult to determine the right course of action when faced with an ethical dilemma. The OIC provides resources for employees, faculty, staff, and students to use in our daily activities to help clarify these challenging situations and to meet our ethical and legal obligations when acting on behalf of the College. The OIC assists the President and the Board of Visitors (BOV) in preventing and detecting illegal or unethical activities by promoting professional standards of conduct, facilitating compliance with laws, regulations, and College policies, and focusing on identification and education related areas of particular concern to the College.
The Office of Institutional Compliance conducts the program activities under the authority of the President of The Citadel. To the extent permitted by law, OIC personnel shall have full access to all records, personnel, and activities within the College and are authorized to review and assess all policies, plans, and procedures. Documents and other materials provided to the OIC will be kept confidential in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- The OIC shall foster and support an ethical environment by meeting the following objectives:
- Coordinate the College’s compliance assurance activities.
- Assist with development of policies and procedures to address specific compliance concerns and to adhere to applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Serve as a compliance resource and provide channels for employees, faculty, staff, and students to report suspected compliance and ethics violations. The option to remain anonymous will be available to individuals reporting suspected violations.
- Monitor for possible or suspected retaliation against any employee, faculty, staff member, or student who, in good faith, reported conduct in violation of the Compliance Program or of any federal, state, or local law.
- Perform College-wide risk assessments, evaluate emerging compliance trends in Higher Education and government, and implement best practices in the Compliance Program.
- Promote institutional compliance awareness. Serve as a resource to advise, assist, develop, and improve compliance-related processes for College employees, faculty, and staff.
- Assist the administration and BOV in investigations of suspected law and policy violations under the direction of the Office of General Counsel or other authority as appropriate. Report the results of such investigations to the President and/or the BOV as appropriate.
Our office numbers are: (843) 953-9502 / 2667.