Our student population is comprised of five groups:
- members of the South Carolina Corps of Cadets,
- selected active-duty enlisted members of US Marine Corps and US Navy
- military veterans returning to college
- our undergraduate evening students from The Citadel Graduate College
- our graduate program students.
At a glance these student populations may seem very different. When examined in depth it is clear they are one student body because of some very striking things in common:
- a desire to become civil engineers, therefore a unique group,
- they are willing to accept a challenge, this is not an easy path,
- an awareness of the obligation they will owe a public which may never know them, but will often have to place complete trust in them.
Opportunities are provided for our seniors to attend monthly professional meetings. The Himelright Seminar series brings speakers on campus each semester to present and discuss landmark projects in civil and environmental engineering. Our students routinely engage in public service projects on and off campus. Students from the department “feed the pipeline” by working with elementary through high school students in activities designed to foster and awareness and interest in civil and environmental engineering.
We are proud of our students. Much is expected of them and they work hard to deliver it.
Professional Organizations with Active Student Involvement: