The Citadel’s Internship Process
Internships are extensions of classroom learning with applied experience in a professional field related to a career path of interest. Participating in at least one internship is a necessary part of your educational experience. The Citadel’s internship process, requirements, where to apply and all of the necessary documents can be found below. This includes information about The Citadel Internship Scholarship Fund.
The Citadel Career Center Internship Scholarship Fund, sponsored by Boeing – Summer 2022/Fall 2022
The Citadel Career Center Internship Scholarship Fund, sponsored by Boeing, strives to remove financial barriers and increase and support the number of minority and first-generation college students, including veteran and graduate students, participating in internship opportunities.
Scholarship application deadline
March 25th, 2022 or until we receive 10 applications (please apply now if you hope to secure a Summer ’22 or Fall’22 internship).
This application is open to minority and first-generation college students, including veteran and graduate students, in STEM or business majors or with minors related to STEM or Supply Chain.
Where do I apply?
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE GOOGLE FORM . Once complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure we received your application and to set up an appointment (in Handshake) so we can support your internship search.
The Citadel’s Academic Internship Eligibility Checklist
- Academic internships allow you to earn academic credit – juniors & seniors are eligible (see department advisor for exceptions)
- GPA of 2.5 or greater, or approval from academic department
- Cadet internships cannot interfere with academic classes, Leadership Training, or Friday Parade
- Student can commit a minimum 10hrs weekly (2-3 days weekly during fall/spring semester) or hours agreed upon by academic advisor
- “Contact hours” are typically 90 hrs -120 hrs /16 weeks or 10 week summer session
- Student has secured internship independently, through The Career Center, from a referral, a department advisor, or outside source that meets department internship guidelines
- Student registers for internship course and completes Internship Agreement Forms (see below) signed by student, department, and supervisor
- Special circumstances? Having trouble? Come to The Citadel Career Center – email@example.com.
The internship must take place in the South Carolina Tri-County areas of Charleston, Dorchester, and Berkley (or organization must have some ties to the Charleston area). Students must submit a reflection/reporting component at the end of the internship and will be invited to present to a group of Boeing executives at the end of the 2022 semester.
Internship Agreement Form
If you have secured an internship, click to download the Internship Agreement Form. Accurately complete all parts of the document or it will not process properly.
How to get started
Here are some helpful steps to take when you first start your internship process at The Citadel:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help, schedule an appointment for a search strategy, or drop-ins daily 1-4pm Mon.-Thurs.
- Access your Citadel Handshake account regularly for leads, events, and active internship postings
- Polish your LinkedIn account and connect with and seek advice from alumni
- Talk to your network: family, friends, mentors, academic advisors, and other students
- Indeed.com / Internships.com / Idealist.org / SimplyHired.com
- Set up an appointment in Handshake with a member of The Career Center Staff
- Cadet Guidelines – White Book Internship Policy
- Academic Internship Guidelines for students (pages 35-39)
- Pre-Internship Self Rated Assessment (complete before you begin your internship)
- Post-Internship Self Rated Assessment (complete after you finish your internship)
- Suggested Reading: How to Talk To Anyone: 92 Tricks For Big Success In Relationships
- Suggested Reading: Making The Most Of Your Internship
- Parker Dewey – Short-term, paid, virtual projects
Campus Opportunities and Federal Work Study Information
Cadets approved for federal campus work-study positions are allowed to work 10 hrs/week for paid positions. 5th year, veterans, EUG, may work up to 15 hrs/week, graduate students are allowed to work up to 20 hrs/week. While these may not qualify as formal internships, it is a good way to get work experience on campus. Depending on department, if can also qualify as an internship.
- Determine eligibility: Office of Financial – Traci Singleton – email@example.com / Bond Hall 138
- Once approved: Office of Human Resources / firstname.lastname@example.org / 97 Hagood Avenue
- Complete HR Forms and secure signatures of supervisors
Do you need Internship Special Orders
Do you need special orders for your interview or internship?
- Your internship paperwork must be complete, with all signatures BEFORE your department will enter leave in CAS. Once entered, you will see your approved leave in CAS. Approval can take up to 3-5 days.
- Internships with reoccurring conflicts which may prohibit cadets from participating should be referred to email@example.com. Cadet will be asked to provide written documentation for review and referral to appropriate campus resource.
- Special Circumstances can be found here .
Do you need Special Orders for an interview?
Faculty, department staff, and TACs can work with you to approve leave for an interview. They need the following documentation 5 days before (or no less than 48 hours before you need leave) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CWID / Citadel email
- Interview start date/time ______ Interview end date/time________
- Time needed to leave The Citadel Campus (military time):______ / time you will return to campus_______
- Company or organization’s name:_______
- Interviewers Name / Title / Phone Number / Email:________
- Address of Interview: Street Address, City, State, ZIP: _____
- Uniform Requested:_______
- Mode of Travel: (car, plane):__________
- Emergency Point of Contact Name/ Number:________
- Any other helpful information which will help us help you.
Helpful guidelines for TACS and Cadets
The Citadel Internship Information Packet in PDF form if above link is not functional.