Please scroll down, or choose the following links if you need information concerning pre-requisites, becoming an MD physician, becoming a DO physician, veterinary, dental, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, public health , podiatry, medical billing and coding or other health-related professional schools.
Pre-Dental? Info from ADEA
- Info from AMCAS
- Info from AACOMAS
- Using Interfolio to Submit Letters to TMDSAS
- AAMC Guidelines for Letter Writers
How do I shadow a doctor?
Pre-Health Mentorship Program NEW: find a health professional to serve as your mentor.
SCRUBS Healthcare Mentor Program at Roper Hospital in Charleston
Medical School, MD: AMCAS Application Instructions
Medical School, DO: AACOMAS Application Instructions
Medical or Dental School, Texas Schools Only: TMDSAS Instructions
- PA School: CASPA Quick Start Guide
- Veterinary School: VMCAS
- MUSC – “Although no prerequisite courses are required, most successful applicants to this medical school complete two semesters of the following courses prior to matriculating: general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and physics. Other courses that have been shown to be of value are: anatomy, cell biology, embryology, genetics and physiology.”
- USC SOM (Columbia)
- USC SOM-Greenville
- VCOM-Carolinas (This is a DO school in Spartanburg)
Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions (ASAHP)
- The NURSE Corps Scholarship Program – a selective program of the U.S. Government that helps alleviate the critical shortage of nurses currently experienced by certain types of health care facilities located in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). Upon graduation, NURSE Corps Scholarship recipients work at these facilities for at least two years, earning the same competitive salary and benefits as any new hire.
- ACTIVE NURSE CORPS PROGRAM
- The University of San Francisco School of Nursing. Scroll down to “CNL OPTION FOR THE NON-NURSE WITH A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE”
- Johns Hopkins
- UCLA School of Nursing
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing (UIC CON)
- University of Hawai’i at Mānoa School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene
- Georgia Regents University
- Links to Others – Caution with these – avoid all “Online” programs, and make sure any program you choose is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)